Graphic Image
Israel's Wars

The Sinai Campaign
On Monday, October 29th 1956, minister Rephael "Raful" Eitan parachuting from the Air Force Dakota plane, launching the Sinai Campaign. 394 additional paratroopers parachuted from the plane. They landed near the eastern entrance of the Mitle pass, about 70 km from the edge of the Suez Canal. A long envoy of tanks and armored vehicles carrying combatants of the Paratroopers Brigade 202, led by Ariel Sharon, advanced towards the Mitle pass in order to join forces with Raful's isolated battalion. When the two forces joined, Sharon decided to continue their advancement, to conquer the Mitle pass and reach the Suez Canal, although the plan was not approved by the Chief of IDF Staff. Instead, they were permitted to set out a reconnaissance company into the Mitle straits. This paratrooper reconnaissance force happened to an ambush by the Egyptian army and a bloody battle ensued. The battle ended with the defeat of the enemy and the opening of the straits, however, 38 paratroopers were lost, and hundred and twenty were injured.

The Six Day War
Paratrooper Brigade combatants fought in three fronts: the Jordanian, the Egyptian, and the Syrian.

- The liberation of Jerusalem: the mission designated for Motta Gur, Commander of the Paratroopers Brigade, was simple: to set out with the break of dawn and unite the Hebraic Jerusalem with the section of the city surrounded by Arab communities at Mount Scopus. The paratroopers fought very difficult battles, in which they had to pay a heavy price in blood. However, the mission was accomplished, and the conquests were in the paratroopers' hands: Battalion 6 conquered Mount Scopus, Battalion 7 conquered the Augusta Victoria ridge, and Battalion 8 encamped near the old city's walls. An order was then issued to advance to the old city. Very soon after, Motta Gur's voice was heard in the communication device: "The Temple Mount is in our hands."

- From Gaza to the Suez Canal: Raful's paratroopers dealt with conquering the cities of the Gaza Strip. They advanced to Gaza City and after difficult battles the city was conquered. The paratroops then galloped towards the Suez Canal. At the entrance to Kantara Raful received a wound to his head and was flown to a hospital in the homefront. Eitan's deputy took charge and under his command the paratroopers breached Kantara; they were the first IDF soldiers to wash their feet in the canal.

- Ramat Hagolan: on Saturday, June10th 1967, the last day of the war, the paratroops were charged with a bold mission: one thousand warriors were flown by helicopters into the Golan Heights, under the command of Danny Mat. When they reached the Golan they departed the helicopters galloped forward towards Botmia junction, their final destination, while passing through villages and purifying them. When they reached the junction they encountered a Syrian force and defeated it. This was the last battle of the Six Day War. Were it not for this air-lifted mission, half of the Golan Heights would remain in Syrian control.

The Yom Kippur War
During the grueling warfare, the IDF crossed the canal in Sinai in order to siege the Egyptian 3rd Army. Forces of the Sharon Division, among them Danny Mat's Paratrooper Brigade, fought in a series of continuous straining combats, in order to broaden the control over the western bank and to ward off the enemy. The harshest battle was the one near the village of Sarfaum, north of the Mar Lake and west of the Suez Canal. Egyptian command allocated the majority of the forces it could centralize, in order to stop and destroy the IDF forces. Mat's Paratroops Brigade, along with Armor Brigade tanks, fought continuously in harsh combat against an enemy that centralized all its forces into one fighting sector. 140 soldiers were lost is these battles, and eighty were wounded, many of whom were commanders.

As the fighting ended, it was already clear to the Egyptian command that its recurring attempts to defeat the Israeli force had failed, and the Egyptians organized for operations to defend the road to Cairo, and requested that the UN demand a cease-fire. After two days, a cease-fire was declared. The battles ended with great victory, with IDF forces encamped on the Suez Canal's western region.

Simultaneously, in northern Israel, the paratroops return the control over Mt. Hermon to Israel.